Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:57:39 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INDEX-5 update policy?

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:04:02AM +1100, Gregory Bond wrote:
> [I'm not subscribed to ports@; please CC me]
>=20
> I'm installing my first 5.x box and playing with portupgrade, and I've ju=
st=20
> spent half a day working out why "portupgrade -N firefox" wasn't working=
=20
> (while it works fine on the 4.x build box).
>=20
> Firstly, it took a while to work out the INDEX-5 vs INDEX issue.  Then it=
 was
> clear that INDEX-5 is updated in CVS much less frequently than INDEX - by
> looking at CVS logs, it seems only at release time.  I'm currently runnin=
g a
> "make index" but this takes hours...
>=20
> What is the policy with INDEX-5? =20

Both INDEX and INDEX-5 are updated about once a month, in staggered
intervals to avoid spamming cvsup users too much.  INDEX-5 was not
rebuilt for a while because of the delays in the 5.2/5.2.1 release
cycle.

More frequently than this causes too much cvsup and CVS repository
churn.

> Is relying on CVSup for this always going to be futile?

Probably.

I build INDEX every two hours to test for failures - I'd like to
publish these on the website, so people can fetch a more recent copy
using e.g. fetch(1) as needed, fbut I haven't been able to get a
response from the www machine administrators about enabling account
access on that machine.

Kris

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd--