Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:18:43 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.1: Can't compile kernel, even as GENERIC!

Quoting Stephen Krauth <stephenk@stephenk.com>:
 [000912 20:05]:
Stephen Krauth>Uh... since I can't even compile the GENERIC kernel, it seems unnecessary
Stephen Krauth>to send the kernel config file I was tweaking.  Here is the uname info:
Stephen Krauth>
Stephen Krauth>FreeBSD beelzebub.inside.killermartian.com 4.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE
Stephen Krauth>#0: Fri Jul 28 14:30:31 GMT 2000
Stephen Krauth>jkh@ref4.freebsd.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386
Stephen Krauth>
Stephen Krauth>Some other background:  I may have done some damage when trying to get
Stephen Krauth>netscape working with XFree86 4.0.1.  I had to force the
Stephen Krauth>XFree86-aoutlibs-3.3.3 port to install by modifying the REQ script
Stephen Krauth>(otherwise it claimed that there were no a.out libs installed, and please
Stephen Krauth>would I install compat22, which was already installed).
Stephen Krauth>
Stephen Krauth>Anyway, the error messages from make "buildkernel KERNEL=GENERIC" are
Stephen Krauth>below.  Any help will be appreciated...

Why are you recompiling the kernel? Is it after a cvsup? I assume you were
going -STABLE. If that is so then /usr/src/UPDATING says that you have to
cd /usr/src
make buildworld

Then
make buildkernel KERNEL= GENERIC && make installkernel KERNEL=GENERIC
After that there is the going into single user mode bit

shutdown -r now
boot -s
mount -u /
mount -a -t ufs
swapon -a

cd /usr/src
make installworld

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV all

cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall
make clean
make all install

Then reboot to multi user mode...

kernel compile also failed for me when I tried it before make buildworld!!

Hope that helps

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Systems Administrator

Please don't lie to me, unless you're absolutely sure I'll never find out the
truth. -Ashleigh Brilliant
(contributed by Chris Johnston)