Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:16:30 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recent portrevision bump for libvpx

--------------enig9A20408D6E5B16942940D07F

On 17/02/2012 10:38, Alex Dupre wrote:
> Alex Dupre wrote:
>> Ideally a port should include in LIB_DEPENDS all the direct dependenci=
es.
>=20
> And consequentially it should be bumped *only if* a direct dependency
> has a library version bump. With the current "link to all" attitude, we=

> are never sure what need to be bumped, because of hidden dependencies,
> and so "portmaster -r" and similar approaches are always recommended in=

> addition to probabilistic portrevision bumps.
>=20

You could record all the shared libraries used by a port as comments in
the +CONTENTS list when it is packaged.  Adding code to run ldd(1)
against the files installed by the port and processing the results
shouldn't be too hard.  Then portmaster(8) et al could have a way of
telling precisely what needed to be rebuilt for this sort of shlib
version bump.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20