Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:41:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        randallS@xmission.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 randallS@xmission.com wrote:

> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:21:35 -0600
> From: randallS@xmission.com
> To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: help
>

> Yes I think I did, however, perhaps you could point me in a direction that
> might lead me to a guide to extracting informatrion about my system.  What
> I am faced with is trying to get my irq and settings from my WinXP box.
> When I look in WinXP device manager, I get one set of values, when my
> startup routine (prior to OS installation) scrolls by, I see a different
> set of values, and of course, finally, when I run the installation probe
> for freeBSD I get a third set of values.  Where is the truth? ;-)
>
> Needless to say, I have no graphic interface for freeBSD (I installed
> KDE).  I get a message to the tune of "badly misconfigured..."
>
> points please.
> Thanks,
> Stephen (newbie)

<snip>

If you go into your system BIOS and turn off PnP support, the numbers
reported by your system boot and the numbers provided by the FreeBSD
installer should be identical. Normally the win32 numbers are
less-than-relevant as that opsys does some resource remapping on its way
up.

Turning off PnP support is a good idea and wDOS should run fine without
it.

> KDE).  I get a message to the tune of "badly misconfigured..."

You get this message when? Can you provide us with the exact output? It
would be easier to help if we knew what was wrong ;-)

JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg