Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 18:42:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      BrianR <brianr@osiris.ml.org>
To:        AIC7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   AIC7xxx driver and Linux 2.1.64 as module

	I'm having trouble with the AIC7xxx driver under Linux 2.1.64.
When I insert the kernel module for this device, shortly after the
information about the card is dumped out to the syslog, I get either an
oops followed by a hard crash, or just a hard crash, sometimes with
reboot.

	I'm using a 2940 ultra with only a HP ScanJet IIc attached. This
worked fine with Linux 2.0.29.

[brianr@osiris ~]$ cat /proc/pci
PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device  19, function  0:
    SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7861 (rev 1).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 9.  Master Capable.
Latency=32.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=4.
      I/O at 0x6200 [0x6201].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0800000 [0xe0800000].

I can't offer the oops register dumps because my machine either crashes
hard (junk spews onto the screen) or spontainously reboots most of the
time.

-Brian Ristuccia
 brianr@osiris.ml.org
 bristucc@baynetworks.com