Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:20:40 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Paul Lathrop <plathrop@mqtweb.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making an iso image from a data CD

Paul Lathrop wrote:

> (trying a third time as it seems to not be getting through for some
> reason.)
> Greetings,
>
> I would like to create an iso image of a data cd. I started by following
> the directions from the FreeBSD Handbook (section 12.5) and ran the
> command:
>
> dd if=/dev/acd1c of=freebsd_disk1_backup.iso bs=2048
>
> (acd1 is my CD-ROM drive) After about 210MB had copied, I got the
> following error:
>
> acd1: READ_BIG - MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=1x00 error=0x00
> dd: /dev/acd1c: Input/output error
>
> I tried the same command using the CD burner I have on acd0:
>
> dd if=/dev/acd0c of=freebsd_disk1_backup.iso bs=2048
>
> A similar error occurred:
>
> acd0: READ_BIG - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x64 ascq-0x00 error=0x04
> dd: /dev/acd0c: Input/output error
>
> I tried this on several disks (all known-good) and got the same result
> (at different points on the disk). I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.
>
> Relevant configuration info (I hope):
>
> acd0: CD-RW <Hewlett-Packard CD Writer Plus 9300> at ata1-master PIO4
> acd1: CDROM <Lite-On LTN486 48x Max> at ata1-slave PIO4
> uname -a output:
> FreeBSD ping.mqtweb.com 4.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #0: Wed Oct 9
> 15:08:34 GMT 2002
> root@builder.freebsdmall.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
>
> Any chance someone can shed some light on this for me?

I'll warn you straight up ... this is a bit of a guess ...
Seems to me that some CD ROMs have buggy ATA interfaces.  Since you have
both of them connected to the same ATA chain, either one being buggy will
cause failure ... I would suggest removing one from the chain, then
trying to burn with the other.  If that fails, reverse the process.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies