Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 04:41:39 +1100 (Australia/NSW)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        craig@allmaui.com (Craig Cowen)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Check Point FW-1

In some mail from Craig Cowen, sie said:

> Thanks,
> They are going to put it on an NT machine.
> They don't trust ipfilter or anything else that is not commercial.
> Maybe I could get some suits to guarentee it with a corporate label.
>
> Craig

Some questions...who is running this project ?
Who will be running the systems ?
And who is "they" in the "They are going..." ?

If you're the one who is running the systems then maybe you should
make it abundantly clear that you've no desire at all to administer
an NT firewall.  Unless you're really inexperienced, there should
not be a problem with finding a better job.

If all they are interested in is commercial, then Sun Solaris with
FW-1 on top of is a better choice than NT.

If they start saying price is a factor, tell them Solaris x86 is
cheaper, on the same hardware, than NT.

Maybe you should printout the latest Black Hat briefing and drop it
on their desk with an attached note saying something appropriate.

You might want to add a note about how the best fix for some of these
problems was to install a non-commercil firewall product to protect it.

Challenge them on why they should trust a commercial product.  Get them
to actually read the license if they believe it is inherently better. I
was bold enough to suggest developing software that was actually
warranted for a use only to have someone point out that if it ever crashes
for any person they are then able to sue you.  No software company wants
that to happen.

Darren