Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:38:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@voicenet.com>
To:        Jason Nordwick <nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, toor@dyson.iquest.net, brett@lariat.org, mike@smith.net.au, dshanes@personalogic.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the  Internet"

Just as a data point... I thought it was a good start that I saw copies of
"The Complete FreeBSD, 2nd Ed." with the CDs and all in a large chain
bookstore, Borders Books and Music.  Now, if it spreads to the book
sections of large computer stores, like I've seen Linux do, we'll be
getting somewhere.

In my opinion, FreeBSD's just beginning to ramp up it's mindshare, but it
needs a significant boost if it is going to compete with Linux.  Every
chance I get, I tell any interested parties about FreeBSD.  Although I
find FreeBSD fairly simple to install, I think if it is going to ever make
any serious inroads, it will need simpler setup schemes for things like
window managers.  People like GUIs, and I found getting a decent setup
running a bit of a chore.  I hate bringing up RedHat (the Linux
distribution with which I am most familiar), but they have a decent window
manager setup right out of the box (even though it sorta looks like
Win95).

I think if the FreeBSD team spends a bit more time with making the GUI
setup a bit more brainless, then it will make it easier to recommend to
quasi-newbies.

- Peter Schwenk - schwenk@voicenet.com