Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 22:07:35 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SDT-7000 and other DDS-2 tapes

As Justin T. Gibbs wrote...
> >> I use most of my SCSI devices on a shared bus between two FreeBSD boxes.
> >
> > Hairy... One machine booting most likely result in a bus reset, with the
> > tape loosing position. You could get lucky and find an adapter that allows
> > disabling bus resets.
>
> I've always wondered if this is something the tape driver could recover
> from.  I guess if the tape driver is recording partion, FM, and block
> count as it writes and the target drive allows block level repositioning
> that it could recover.  Do all tape drives lose their position on a
> reset?  How many support the soft reset alternative?  I guess it's time
> to do some experimentation.

You are at the mercy of the device firmware. You don't want to. Some tapes
rewind on a bus reset etc.

I know that DEC NSR (Legato Networker rebranded) can now handle tapes on a
shared bus in a Digital Unix cluster. AFAIK they indeed keep track of where
they were on the tape. When a bus reset occurs a rewind follows and then a
reposition to the spot they were before.

NSR is picky on what devices it wants to support. Most/all (?) of them are
either DLT or DLT loaders.

Please note: I'm not an NSR expert by any means..

Wilko