Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 13:55:11 +0200
From:      "Olivier Cortes" <olivier.cortes@free.fr>
To:        <sage@mindcrime.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD IPFW" <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: hi/new

hi

i used to be a linux man. Under FreeBSD, one the best thing i learnt about ipfw is dynamic firewalling.
check "keep-state" and "chack-state" in the docs.

nat is also quite different from Masquerading (it's done in a process, not in the kernel, and has many options (a best for me: port
translation! check tne manual). There are also
diferrences between static nat and dynamic nat... plenty of variations between the two OSes. Same concepts (firewalling), but many
more details and tuning options in FreeBSD. It's more "mature" when talking 'bout firewalls.
We'll see evolution with iptables/netfilter in linux 2.4.

for now i own 2 freebsd servers (one little firewall, and a server: web, mail, what ever you can think of...). I'm wondering about
how OpenBSD would act on my firewall (same or better ?). Going to install it ;)

greets

olive
deep ocean webmaster,
www.deep-ocean.net