Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:18:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Swap overcommit (was Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2))

:On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:18:58 -0400 (EDT)
: John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> wrote:
:
: > What does that have to do with overcommit?  I student administrate a undergrad
: > CS lab at a university, and when student's programs misbehaved, they generate a
: > fault and are killed.  The only machines that reboot on us without be
: > explicitly told to are the NT ones, and yes we run FreeBSD.
:
:What does it have to do with overcommit?  Everthing in the world!
:
:If you have a lot of users, all of which have buggy programs which eat
:a lot of memory, per-user swap quotas don't necessarily save your butt.

    If every single one of your users is trying to crash your machine daily,
    maybe you should consider throwing them off the system and finding users
    that are less hostile.

    This conversation is getting silly.  Do you actually believe that
    an operating system can magically protect itself 100% from armloads of
    hostile users?

    Give me a break.  You people are crazy.  If you have something worthwhile
    to say i'll listen, but these "the sky is falling!" arguments are idiotic.

						-Matt