Date:      Wed, 09 Nov 2005 15:46:40 -0600
From:      "Paul T. Root" <ptroot@iaces.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   gnome-upgrade.sh

This script is one of the most frustrating things ever
written.

I made a fresh install (from CD) of 6.0R. In the install
I added gnome2, sudo, and bash. That's it. Gnome came up fine.
bash is great, sudo works.

Now, since gnome 2.12 is out, I want to upgrade to that.
Seems resonable.

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome tells us not to use portupgrade
to upgrade gnome2. The upgrades get out of order.

Ok fine, use gnome-upgrade.sh. And keep trying it says.

I've run it better than a dozen times, now. It's still trying.
All day, I turn and look at it periodically, resolve whatever
problem it seems to be having and start it up again.

1 time it said that it was successful! Woo Hoo! Wait, 2 times,
it just finished...

However it lies. What it's done is removed gnome completely.

The problem seems to lie in that downloads fail and so I get
a bunch of files in /usr/ports/distfiles that are not valid.
Using good old ftp, I grab the file needed and either build the
port and install or restart gnome-upgrade.sh

I'm now assuming that since all gnome has been wiped off the
disk, that the thing to do is build/install the port directly.
Starting that up, I seem to be having the same downloading difficulties.

--
    ______	Paul T. Root
   /    _ \  	1977 MGB