Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:35:04 +0100
From:      Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: note

On 12/06/2012 04:53, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 21:36:00 -0600, Arlen McIntyre wrote:
>> How can I get FreeBSD on
>> my other partition and have a dual OS system without the boot installation?
>
> Qustion part one:
>
> Prepare a USB stick with the FreeBSD "memstick edition".
> You'll find instructions on how to do that on the FreeBSD
> website, as well as the installation media.
>
> Preparation: Make sure you have _free_ disk space. This
> means: Do not create any DOS partitions, just leave it
> "empty" and let the installer perform the required tasks
> of partitioning and formatting.

If you have XP on the other partition you will need to install FreeBSD
using the "old style" MBR partitioning scheme. See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-pre.html

You might want to consider sticking with FreeBSD 8.3 which I think only
supports MPR partitioning. FreeBSD 9.0 supports both MBR and the newer
GPT scheme so you would have to work out how to choose during the
installation.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre.html

Chris