Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 23:02:13 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performs worse that Linux - Patches #2 & #3

On Sunday 09 December 2001 03:11 am, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :Hello all.
> :
> :I read with interest (and fair ignorance ;-) ) the thread about delayed
> :ACKs in the TCP/IP stack.
> :...
> :If Matt or any other qualified hackers can make the time to double-check
> :my patches, I'd appreciate it. Matt's first patch didn't apply (no NewReno
> :in 4.2REL), and the third patch (to tcp_input.c) required a little more
> : work (I changed tests for 'tcp_delack_enabled' to 'DELAY_ACK()'). I'd
> : just like some assurance I got it right.
> :
> :All in all, kudos to Matt for this. In day-to-day use, I can "feel" the
> :improvementi, and everything seems as solid as ever!
> :
> :Dave
>
>    Ach.  If you want my specific attention (or any FreeBSD developer's
>    specific attention) you should always Cc: the person specifically.
>    Otherwise my mail filter won't put it in my personal mail box :-)
>
>    In anycase, your patches look fine.  In fact, you not only applied
>    my fixes you also applied a fix in the delayed-ack check that was
>    made (by someone else) some time after 4.2Rel -- the callout_pending()
>    check in DELAY_ACK() fixed a serious bug in prior releases all by
> itself. Kudos!
>
>    I'm glad people have been testing this and getting such good results.
>    I MFC'd it fairly quickly into stable (because TCP was seriously messed
>    up) and its nice to get feedback that justifies the decision.
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon@backplane.com>

Matt, could you clarify. Is the patch that Dave applied to 4.2 applicable to
4.4-RELEASE? It sounded like not. I applied the tcp_output.c and
uipc_socket.c patch to my 4.4-RELEASE servers and it made a whole lot of
difference, like 500KB/sto 954KB/s from my old P200 server to my laptop.

Thanks.
--
Jim Durham