Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 1996 23:30:58 -0500
From:      "Bradley Dunn" <dunn@harborcom.net>
To:        jaeger <jaeger@com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: I need help on this one - please help me track this guy

The traceroute results do not indicate any DNS tampering. Traceroute
looks up 127.0.0.1 using gethostbyaddr(), which then uses whatever
address-to-name translation system you have running
(eg /etc/hosts,NIS,DNS). I would certainly hope your translation
sytem reports localhost for 127.0.0.1. :)

It does indicate that there is something over there that reports its
IP address as 127.0.0.1. Perhaps it is some funky terminal server
hardware. Maybe it returns 127.0.0.1 when it knows that it is
responsible for the particular IP being traced, but that IP isn't
currently assigned?

To test this, I tried tracing to some of the other hosts that would
be in this pool. For example, a230.pu.ru, a231.pu.ru, etc... Some
of the other ones returned this as well. So my guess would be it
was a dialup dynamic IP account, and the terminal server sends
the packets to its loopback interface if the IP isn't assigned.

Bradley Dunn <dunn@harborcom.net>