Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 13:05:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jfieber@indiana.edu, langfod@dihelix.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Cool Web page interface to mail + search engine?

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > We still don't message-ID stamp the messages on receipt by majordomo,
> > > do we?
> >
> > Terry,
> > 	what a are you proposing?  every message has its own message-ID
> > 	providing by the orignating machine.  please, clarify what
> > 	you have in mind.
>
> Well, we have exchanged private email on this, but I'll respond publically
> to this posting...

	please bear with me, i have forgotten.....

> No everyone uses sendmail.  If you look at Robert Withrow's messages
> (as an example, not to pick on Robert) the "Message-ID:" is not
> present -- Robert is using EXMH, and he's not getting an ID stamp.

	hmm....my EXMH messages have a message-id
	but, that may not hold for all versions of EXMH

To: jmb@freebsd.org
Subject: sent from exmh

> I've seen the same thing on older SMTP servers (for instance, there
> are a number of machines behind firewalls that really don't need to
> do the "security update" process, and so are running with whatever
> version came from the vendor originally.
>
> What I'm suggesting is that there needs to be a "X-List-ID:" or
> something similar for mailing lists, _added by the list server_.

	okay, i understand what you have written so far.

> We can be guaranteed that a reply to a message won't come to the
> list server before the message; even if we can't (CC: line has
> list in it instead of as the primary recipient), if you generate
> the message ID based on UTC timestamp and originator, you can still
> time-order thread messages witha given subject (and use "Re: "
> prefixing of the subject to get a full thread identity).

	so what you want is for freefall (our mail hub) to time-stamp
	the messages?  and indicate the originator?  something like

> The major problem is that mailers which don't use the message ID
> of the message being replied to in the generation of an "In-Response-To:"
> or similar header.

	what software are you using to thread your messages, just curious ;)
jmb