Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 18:41:51 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chain letter proposal

Jason, I'm sorry you feel that way.

I thought the reservations they [DG and JKH] had were about its
effectiveness, not its usage as a tool. Go back and read their posts
without filtering it through your own anti-SPAM feelings, please.

What they did say is that they don't get a very good response from the
registration and that they doubted that this request would get
everybody. Okay, fine. This doesn't change the fact that WE NEED
NUMBERS. Do you have a better idea _that_will_work_??? I hope this
circulates until the end of time because that will mean that people
still care about FreeBSD [ or that The End Is Near, but that's another
pail of worms ;) ]. It is irrelevant if FreeBSD goes away, but will
always be relevant as long as FreeBSD exists. I can modify the wording
to have people check the website for a newer version if things change,
but the questions asked will always be relevant. This data will always
be necessary, and I don't see any other alternative than going the
'commercial distribution' route, and I see that as far worse poison than
a one-page chain letter.

Now, if -core DOES think this is a mistake, let them speak. I have shown
that reason will prevail with me, even when it is personally
embarassing. If no official objections arise, then I will go make some
Perl code and post it near the end of the week when I am happy with it.

I am very much aligned with Jordan's aggrieved posting about time being
wasted here. I will put forth my effort, and when the page goes up with
working code, we can then have a vote. If there are enough legitimate
objections, I will can it. If not, we will try it. I personally think
the benefits outweight the costs.