Date:      28 Sep 2001 13:12:31 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 127/8 continued

"Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> writes:

> RFC 3021 describes a better way of addressing directly connected links
> so half the space is not wasted. a /31 is used for each connection
> allowing for 4 point to point connections from a /29.
>
> Whether FreeBSD routers can be configured to do this, I can't say, but
> I suspect manual route commands would do the job. I know Juniper
> routers support this capability.

Based on my many experiments (but sketchy knowledge), I find that the
"route" command does the job, but the "ifconfig" command has problems
with it.  I can't get routing to work if I configure the interface
with /31 (or /32 or point-to-point, if that's relevant).  I have to
use /29 (maybe /30 works too - I've forgotten), and then, of course,
ifconfig creates /29 routes at creation and again at "up" time.

That's interesting about the RFC.  I had read that true subnet network
address could be used for hosts IPs but I had not heard that for the
broadcast address too.  I wonder what fraction of SAs could say when
or why it's OK to do so.

Thanks for the tip.