Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 12:24:30 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>
To:        "Matt M." <boda@infinitedata.net>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mysql3.22.32 port

"Matt M." wrote:

> I installed the port, and it added the user mysql. The shell it configured was
> /usr/local/sbin/nologin. I changed this to /usr/local/bin/bash, and changed the
> mysql password. When I try to login, it tells me the account is not available.
> If I try to connect to mysql as any other user, I get a message stating it
> can't connect to mysql on port (whatever it was) /tmp/mysql.id (or something
> similar - mysql is now uninstalled because I thought I would try installing it
> directly from source). Where is the documentation for this, or what can you
> tell me?

Try to read mysql info ($ info mysql) carefully, it may help. Especially sections
describing security model and how to setup privileges for mysql users' accounts.

Following is short list of what you got wrong (guessed from your message):
1. You do not need to change mysql's /etc/passwd account in any way, since it is
provided solely for security purposes to avoid running mysql as root. You never
will have to login into this account.
2. Real users listed in /etc/passwd have nothing to do with mysql accounts.
3. After installing you should be root to connect to the mysql and connection could
be established only from the local machine via domain socket.

Therefore preferred way to install/configure mysql should be as follows:
1. Compile and install it;
2. Start mysql daemon (#/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start);
3. Read following documentation: mysql security model; how to create mysql users;
how to grant privileges to users;
4. Create mysql users and grant required rights to them;
5. Have fun.

-Maxim