Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2012 05:43:12 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Sabine Baer <baerks@t-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't install WindowMaker

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:24:41 +0100, Sabine Baer wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:57:47PM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
>
>  [...]
>
> > Did you have the chance to try to compile it using
> > "only ports" infrastructure? E. g. making sure the
> > ports tree is up to date, and then
> >
> > 	# cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/windowmaker/
> > 	# make install
>
> I did this several times.

Do you have any "non-standard" settings in /etc/make.conf
that might be a reason here? Overriding CFLAGS or -O
something or maybe a wrong CPUTYPE?

I'm just asking to also check this obvious stuff as I
did shoot my own foot with something like that. :-)

> > to start with a clean (!) build? Just to be sure, you
> > could remove any possibly "offending" distfiles/ archives
> > and work/ subtrees.
>
> I do not undestand exactly, what You mean. I did a cvsup -g -L 2
> ports-supfile several times, I went to all /usr/ports/x11*/dirctories
> and made a 'make clean' for al the ports therein, but nothing helped.

That should have eliminated any remains of work/ directories.
The removal of distfiles/ would cause the make process, started
in a clean build environment, to also fetch a new source tarball.
After you have successfully brought up your ports tree to the
latest version, also the latest source of WindowMaker should
be obtained.

> > If this has worked, you can run the portmaster checks
> > again, but if I understood you correctly, getting WindowMaker
> > (not sure about the current correct spelling!) installed
> > and running is your top priority.
>
> At the very moment, yes. But I found pekwm (other wm than windoemaker
> compile without problems), it seems to be not bad either.
> But this damn windowmaker should compile too, aus Prinzip!

Of course it should. I've been able to successfully install
version 0.92.0_10 on August 22nd 2011, so it should be possible
to reproduce that. :-)

> But there is much mor "im Eimer" than windomaker only.
> But I can't find the "highest" port of all X-related. I deinstalled
> xorg and searched for remaining ports in /var/db/pkg seeming related
> to X or GUI stuff, an reinstalled x11/xorg (without HAL, which brings
> a failure too).

If you don't actually _use_ HAL, there is no reason to compile
it in. Experience teaches that it brings more trouble than
benefit. In ultra-worst case, you could reinstall everything
(i. e. cleaning /usr/local and restoring it from the mtree
file, cleaning /var/db/pkg also), starting with a list of
your "actually used programs" and let them pull in all the
dependencies, e. g.

	# cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/windowmaker/
 	# make config-recursive
	# make install

That would maybe be less elegant than using a port management
tool, but it should work.

> Since long times, I often run into troubles when
> installing something gnome-related. I do not use gnome, but some
> applications need some gnome stuff.

I'm running some Gnome/Gtk+ related applications here (as well
as some from KDE land), but the installation has been done in
summer last year. I can hardly imagine that there is a significant
loss of "just works" in recent ports...

> Well, at the very moment I need some advice for "cleaning" my system
> free of all GUI so that I can begin from zero with that.

To really make sure there is nothing "offending" on the system,
make sure you check /etc/make.conf, then remove /usr/local and
restore the directory structures using /etc/mtree/BSD.local.dist,
also make sure /var/db/pkg is clean. That resembles the state of
the OS right after a fresh install. Also delete /usr/ports and
use portsnap to obtain a new ports tree. Use csup (as in your
example above) to update to the latest version. Then start
installing using the port infrastructure (to limit the possibilities
what can go wrong - without a port management tool) as in my
example.

> I decided to follow the rcipe at the end of mman portmaster and made
> all new. I didn't install all the ports that were installed, just what
> I really need - fetchmail, mutt-lite, vim-lite, slrn, lynx, inadyn,
> screen, mgetty+sendfax, and x11/xorg and opera.  All compiled fine.

Correct approach. This makes sure you won't "accidentally"
install a port that you won't need just because somehow it
has been on the system. :-)

This is a starting point where you could try to install
WindowMaker from. As I see from the list, X is there, but
no big things that could make the WindowMaker build break.
Check out "man script" to save a copy of the messages from
the building process (good way to check error messages in
case it failed).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany