Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 09:03:44 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        nao@sbl.cl.nec.co.jp (Naoki Hamada)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ep0 in GENERIC

As Naoki Hamada wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
> >>Why don't we use the following config line for ep0 (3C509)?
> >>device ep0 at isa? port ? net irq ? vector epintr
> >Because the probe doesn't honour conflicts and is invasive.
>
> Sorry, I cannot figure out what you meant by this. Can you expand on
> it?

Ooops, i didn't notice this also went out to the list.  (For some
reason, Mutt doesn't notice the list address on Bruce's mails, and
marks them private.)

I've already mailed this to Bruce privately, the ep driver always
reads the ``identification port'' (3Com's private PnP solution, i
believe) on address 0x100, and figures which 3C5x9 cards are installed
on what address and IRQ.  May this be invasive or not -- it's done
anyway, so simply _using_ these data later doesn't make things worse,
but would allow for using the first found 3C5x9 card with their native
data, as opposed to hard-coded kernel ideas.

--
cheers, J"org