Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:51:02 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
To:        Steven Ames <steve@news.cioe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: longer usernames?

On Fri, 11 Jul 1997, Steven Ames wrote:

> I know the 3.0-CURRENT code supports 16 character user names... What changes
> would I need to make to 2.2-RELENG to get 16 character names?

modify UT_NAMESIZE in /usr/src/include/utmp.h
modify MAXLOGNAME in /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h

and make world.  You'll also need to recompile all packages/ports which
read/write the username (top, wu-ftpd come to mind).

Be damn sure you've got adequate backups, as this procedure breaks quite a
few things.  You'll want to zero /var/log/wtmp and /var/run/utmp,
as well as your accounting logs after making the world.

I've done it on five FreeBSD 2.x systems in the past three months.
It's not difficult, but it's not totally painless either! ;-)
--

John-David Childs (JC612)       @denver.net/Internet-Coach
System Administrator            Enterprise Internet Solutions