Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 1996 22:42:42 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        owensc@enc.edu, stable@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -stable and NCR problems?

Hello,

# } What are you seeing?  I'm seeing this sorta stuff:
# }
# } Mar 17 12:59:39 dingo /kernel: ncr0:0: ERROR (0:140) (40-67-4) (8/13) @ (abc:008c0064).

	I didn't see the above errors, there was another story --
	2.1R kernel was fine on one of the boxes,
	after installing a -stable kernel as of 960318
	it won't boot, going asleep right after the last kernel
	printf at the moment when NCR first time touches the disk
	and fsck should be started.

# That's the infamous handshake timeout ...
# This feature seems to do more harm than good,
# and I'll apply the following patch to -stable
# (it has been in current for some time already):
[...]
	I confirm that the patch cured the situation at least for me.
	BTW the drive is the affected box is 1.08Gb IBM DPES 31080S,
	a bunch of those drives are happy with NCRs and non-patched
	-stable kernels here; a failure was a single case out of 6.
	I'm going to upgrade kernels on other boxes soon, too.

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	"You may delegate authority, but not responsibility."
					Frank's Management Rule #1.