Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 12:44:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Barrett Richardson <brich@aye.net>
To:        Alejandro Galindo Chairez AGALINDO <agalindo@servidor.exsocom.com.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: udp security

Do you want to shut the guys out or find out what they are doing?

A re-install may be safest at this point.

Some simple things you could do - check the rc files and root's
.profile, .bash_profile or whatever for booby traps. Disable network
services that you can live with out use nmap to do a port scan and
try to identify what else there is. Do a 'grep :0: /etc/master.passwd'
and look for bogus priveleged accounts. Check timestamps in /etc/services
and /etc/inetd.conf and looks for extra entries there. Turn on
process accounting (stash the accounting file in an out of the way
place). Make hard links to /var/log/messages, history files and hide them
somewhere. You may want to set the append only flag on various things
like /var/log/messages, .history, /etc/master.passwd and raise the secure
level. Inventory suid binaries on the system (look for a setuid editor
or vipw).

Be extra careful. A cracker would probably rather destroy your system
that leave evidence that can't be erased. Maybe hide the 'rm' and
'dd' commands and replace them with something that does nothing.

Entertain the idea that multiple backdoors could be in place and
they could be making new ones while you plugging old ones --
a clean slate may be your most economical fix if you don't find
something obvious quickly.

--

Barrett