Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:28:08 -0500
From:      "Anthony Abby" <anthonyabby@aplusdata.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Matt Delaine" <mdelaine@intsolut.com>
Subject:   Re: Max Email Users

>We are running FreeBSD 4.6 on a PIII 600 with 256 Meg RAM as our mail
>server.  At what point (how many users) will we start running into trouble
>(have problems allowing us to send and receive email?)  Thanks.

Well that depends on exactly how your users are using the mail server.  If all they're doing is accessing it via smtp/pop then the answer would be GOBS of users.  Sorry for that highly technical answer, but I honestly don't know how many users a 600mhz PIII will support, but I know it's hundreds at the very least.  I ran mailing lists with over 100k total subscribers on an old Cyrix MIII based Linux box that had no problem keeping up with the load.

If your users are using web-based email on your system, like hotmail or yahoo, then the number of users you'll be able to support will be significantly less.

Anthony