Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 09:37:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        peter@spinner.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        dfr@nlsystems.com, fsmp@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-smp@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: sys/i386/i386 mp_machdep.c sys/i386/include smptests.h sys/i386/conf options.i386 sys/i386/isa clock.c isa.c

> > >   Modified:    i386/conf  options.i386
> > >   Log:
> > >   added option  SMP_TIMER_NC
> > >   this option informs the kernel that the motherboard MP table incorrectly
> > >   states that the 8254 timer is connected to the IO APIC.
> > >   it replaces the #define in smptests.h: FAKE_8254_NC
> >
> > That did it!  I added SMP_TIMER_NC to my config and I am now up and
> > running with the SuperMicro P6DNE machine.
>
> Hmm..  I wonder how the hell we can detect this sort of problem at
> runtime?  Having to twiddle half a dozen compile-time options to get a
> system booted isn't my idea of a good outcome..
>
> I think the "best" answer is to decouple the idt slots and spl* bit
> patterns, then we can do things like spreading the idt load and have
> "lots" of interrupt sources... (eg: multiple apics)

The timer would be causing non-APIC int's, right?

One way might be to count int's, and if the timer has not changed
over some N count, then assume it's incorrectly identified.  This
should be front-loaded, so the timer check doesn't occur all the
time.

Alternately, request a patch for the MPtable from the vendor,
since this is a known problem?

Or ask them how NT copes?

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert