Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2006 11:13:54 GMT
From:      "Sergey A. Yakovets" <sergey@g-net.kz>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/98366: Inter PRO/1000 MT Dual PCI-X: simulatenious 1000 Mbit\s link problem

>Number:         98366
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Inter PRO/1000 MT Dual PCI-X: simulatenious 1000 Mbit\s link problem
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
border# uname -a
FreeBSD border 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Mon May 29 20:17:54 UTC 2006     root@router:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BORDER  i386

Hello.

Kernel: SMP with IPFIREWALL option

Problem: we have SuperMicro 6014P-TR server with Intel PRO/1000 MT Dual (82546GB) adapter on-board and Intel PRO/1000 MT Dual (82546EB)on PCI-X slot.

On-board card has 2 simulatenoius links to different gigabit switches. Everything is ok, hosts are pinging. Ports are operates on 1000 Mbit\s FullDuplex (Autonegotiation)

Lets connect PCI-X card to 3'rd gigabit switch, it's working, hosts pinging.
When I'm trying connect second port on PCI-X card to 4'th switch, link on first port is became down, after that on both ports link is up at 100 Mbit\s, but nothing works. Trying to type smth like "ifconfig em0 up" follows by "EPPROM Checksum error. Cannot initialize hardware."

All switches configured staticaly at 1000 Mbit\s with Full-Duplex.
All ports on both cards (on-board and PCI-X) configured by AUTO

When I'm configuring PCI-X ports with "media 1000BaseTX mediaopt full-duplex", it's doesnt make any difference.

After rebooting, if cables are in PCI-X ports, problem is present.
After rebooting with only one cable connected to any of two ports, problem is'nt appears

>How-To-Repeat:
Connecting cable to second port on PCI-X card with 1'st port connected.

>Fix:
No one, just reboot machine with one of 2 link connected.