Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2012 22:13:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        guru@unixarea.de
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: skype-2.1.0.81,1 && problem in child proc

In article <20120301153409.GA2478@tiny> you write:

>Hello,
>
>I'm using skype-2.1.0.81,1 in 10-CURRENT r226986, which works fine for
>chat and video calls;
>
>I encounter the following small problem: when a chat contains a URL one
>can open that URL with a browser; it seems that skype is launching a
>shell script /usr/local/bin/xdg-open which in turn tries to figure out
>if the desktop is Gnome or KDE and which browser to use; it simple does
>not start any browser for me; while digging into this (inserting
>printf's to a log file) I see, that the script wants to launch
>
>kfmclient exec http://www.hallo-verlag.de/...
>
>with the correct URL from the chat dialog in skype but this gives an
>error to stderr:
>
>Cannot open "/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so"
>
>the shared lib exists in /compat/linux/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so
>and in /usr/local/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so
>
>$ ls -l /usr/local/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so
>/compat/linux/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so
>-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  4788 14 nov 12:52
>/compat/linux/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so
>-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  5341 14 nov 07:49
>/usr/local/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so
>
>What is the matter with this and was has 'kfmclient' todo with
>v4l2convert.so shared objects?

I haven't really looked into this in detail but my guess is this is
the Linux v4l2convert.so that is LD_PRELOAD'ed into skype for the
benefit of cameras not able to provida yuv video.  So I guess we'd
need to prepend a wrapper for xdg-open to PATH that resets LD_PRELOAD
before executing the real /usr/local/bin/xdg-open .  (And btw I had
to do something similar for google earth which sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
see

	/usr/ports/astro/google-earth/files/browserwrapper

and

	/usr/ports/astro/google-earth/files/patch-bin-googleearth

.)

 Hm or should the xdg-utils port be patched to just unset LD_PRELOAD
uncondtionally?  I'll Cc gnome@ which is listed as maintainer for
that port...

 Cheers,
	Juergen