Date:      01 Jul 1999 13:17:06 +0200
From:      Frode Vatvedt Fjeld <frodef@acm.org>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frode's vtv & libvideo

Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net> writes:
> Videolib 0.1.0 w/ vtv compiled and installed without a hitch.  I hit
> a few small glitches, but it works and is pretty cool!

I'm glad you like it :) I am interested in removing any glitches,
though.

The frequency-stuff is, as you know, work in (initial) progress. I
think/hope that the NTSC issue is merely a matter of improving the VTV
script.

> Initially, I didn't tweak width and height, defaulting to PAL's
> 384x288 and had lots of wavy black lines on the video window.  This
> is a driver issue though.

I think this too is a script issue, because one shouldn't request the
grabber to go above 640x480 in NTSC.

> I changed width and height, started it up, and immediately got an
> error box (it just said "Error:" -- no message).

This is something that has bitten me too sometimes, except never when
I try to provoke it to happen.. The really strange thing is that there
is everywhere that the library returns error, a message is also
returned. Well, obviously this isn't quite true (as evidenced above),
but I haven't been able to figure out what causes this.

> Then I realized this was probably the grid feature kicking in, so I
> changed that to 16 and set the width/height back to 320/240.  That
> worked.

This is also a script/Tk thing.

> Then, resizing the window by hand, I got that "Error:" dialog with
> no image in the video window.  No amount of resizing would bring it
> back.  Had to quit and restart.

It should work to just hit the "start" or "stop" menu-entry once or
twice.

> Sometimes resizing would cause the widget panel to disappear.

Definitively a scripting thing. Either bad interaction with the wm, or
another side-effect of the inferior sizing-stuff for NTSC.

> I guess Fps must be fields per second because it was showing up
> around 59 Fps for me in interlaced mode.

The Fps counts every time the image is updated. You should in theory
get 60 fps/second with the grabber in "field mode", and 30 in "frame
mode".

> Also, I love to Ctrl-C apps.  I found that vtv didn't clean up its
> shared memory when I did this, so after 2 or 3 runs, it wouldn't run
> anymore until I cleaned these up manually.  Same thing happened when
> I killed it with the Destroy window manager function.

Yes, this is a library problem (well, not quite.. it's the
scripting-glue between Tcl and videolib, really). I don't really know
what is the proper way to deal with this is.. I'll try using atexit().

> Whenever I put it in scan mode or it was skipping across frequency
> bands with no signal, it seemed to really slow the X server GUI down
> (like it was pushing a lot more images than normal or the driver was
> eating some serious CPU).

I don't know what this is.. There is an Tcl/Tk "update" in the
search-loop (similar to XSync(), I think), and this could possibly
lead to such behaviour if called very frequently. But this doesn't
happen on my machine(s). Could there be some busy-waiting in the bktr
driver when tuning NTSC? Sounds a bit far-fetched to me.. :)

Anyways, I'll try to fix vtv's behavior with NTSC, and upload
videolib-0.1.1 in a little while.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld