Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:10:50 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install_and_reboot target for kernel's...

At 1:05 PM -0700 8/4/04, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>b) there are lots of doesn't seem worth it scripts that exist
>    in the base system..  we don't require people to do:
>       make installkernel installmodules
>    instead of make install do we?
>
>the reason it depends upon install and not just installkernel
>is that we want the modules installed too...

Hmm.  'make install' does a lot more than just installing modules,
does it not?  Besides, aren't modules installed as part of
installkernel?  (I always thought they were, but I guess I do
not really know for sure, and I do not feel like checking into
it right now).

Make install is more like installworld combined with installkernel,
since it will do:

    for entry in share/info include lib libexec bin \
              games gnu kerberos5 rescue sbin secure share sys \
              usr.bin usr.sbin etc; do
        [...] make install  DIRPRFX=$edir/;
    done

I personally don't really care what targets you add, so do not
take my comments too seriously.  I am just trying to think up
some questions to make sure the right steps are being proposed.