Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 07:50:07 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to use the sup'd CVS tree?

>I have now sup'd the cvs tree and have what looks like the -current
>release, and I can do "cvs gets", etc, locally.  But I don't
>understand the process for working in -current and getting patches
>for -stable for local test.
>
>0. (Basic assertion I think is correct) There is no "cvs awareness"
>in sup, and sup will simply update my sup tree to match what is on
>freefall.

Correct.

>1. How do I "sup" again?  I assume most info is kept in the local
>working directory, so if all I have is locally checked out modules
>I can go ahead and "sup cvs" when I want, and it is only when I
>want to commit my changes that I have to be careful.

Basically.  I just pull diffs over to Freefall, commit them, re-sup
my CVS tree (eventually), and let my next cvs update handle the merge.
You won't get any conflicts unless you happen to change the files in
some overlap region between the time of your commit, and your next
sup/cvs update.

>2. Do I commit back on freefall and then get my updates in the next
>sup?

To the CVS tree, yes.  You can leave your checked out area alone and
the next cvs update you do will work fine since the changes in your
tree are exatly the same as what you committed to Freefall.

>3. How do I do local revision control, in conjunction with question
>1? If I'm doing extensive work can I create a local branch so that
>I can keep local changes under revision control without having
>"sup" step on me?  I don't see how this would play with assertion 0
>without creating branches back on freefall.

If you want, you can commit to your local CVS tree during development,
but all of that state will be lost by your next SUP.  I think Peter
uses RCS in conjunction with CVS.

>D. Where is -stable?  Is it a branch somewhere in what I got in
>"sup cvs"?

cvs co -r RELENG_2_1_0 src

>5. Am I on the right track?

Yes.

>I looked around on freefall and don't see these questions answered.

Now that we're offering the CVS tree, I guess we need a FAQ for it.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations