Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:04:36 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree 4.1.0 problem

Have you changed /etc/ttys?  Can you post your /etc/ttys?
X does not attach to the highest-numbered virtual console; it attaches
to the first one that is allocated to it, that is, the first one that
was free at the time X was started.  If you have no getty processes
running for virtual consoles (if you have disabled them in /etc/ttys,
or if your /usr/libexec/getty fails to start), and xdm is configured
to run on the first virtual console, then the described behavior
would be normal.

G'luck,
Peter

--
What would this sentence be like if it weren't self-referential?