Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:08:00 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan.aguero@gmail.com>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: clear metadata using dd?

+----[ Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> (23.Jan.2007 15:41):

| Hi,
|
| I just noticed this message today, and there's one thing
| I don't understand ...
|
| Fernan Aguero wrote:
|  > I'm trying to set up two disks to contain both gmirrored and
|  > gstriped slices.
|  >
|  > This is what I'm trying to achieve:
|  > adxs1, swap
|  > adxs2, gmirror
|  > adxs3, gstripe
|
| Can someone please explain why such a setup makes sense?
|
| As far as I can tell, the purpose of gmirror is to provide
| redundancy in the case of drive failure.  I.e. if one
| drive fails, the system keeps running happily instead of
| crashing.

Hi,

well, I beg to differ, but with this setup I don't see why
the system will crash if one disk fails ... I did several
tests, removed one disk, and the system booted and worked
fine in degraded mode ...

Of course I'm not putting essential stuff in the gstriped
device. Here's how my setup looks like:

ad4s1b, ad6s1b => swap
ad4s2, ad6s2 => gmirror (/, /var, /tmp, /usr) (i.e. base OS)
ad4s3, ad6s3 => gstripe (/freebsd, /usr/obj, /distfiles, /scratch)

So, as you see, in the gstriped device I've put things that
I can afford to lose in case of a crash. The FreeBSD sources
can be downloaded again, the stuff in /usr/obj can be made
again from the sources, the distfile local mirror can also
be made fresh again, and the temp scratch space is not to be
used for essential stuff.

Does it make sense now?

Fernan

+----]