Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:18:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        dkeller@psln.com (Daniel Keller)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SIOCAIFADDR: File exists - in ppp

Daniel Keller asked:
> When I try to connect using ppp I get the following message:
>
> SIOCAIFADDR: File exists
>
> Could someone help me with this?

Sure.  In your ppp.linkup file, I bet you have a line like:

  add 0 0 HISADDR

to add the other end of the PPP link as the default route.  If you
already have a default route, the route add operation reports EEXIST,
to tell you that route already existed.  The errno print routine
interprets this as 'File exists' because the error messages predate
sockets.  (!!)  If you don't want to see this message, add

  delete 0

immediately before the add line.