Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 00:33:20 -0400
From:      Steve Gasbarre <SteveG@bright.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   CDROM & DOS Partition FreeBSD installation problems

I've been trying to install FreeBSD for the past week, but have met some
problems. Either I missing out on something or some of my hardware is
inadequate. During the install I set 800MBs for the FreeBSD partition - and
used the default partition settings for /, swap, /usr /var on a secondary 1GB
drive.  I think the drive is still good, as I haven't had any problems and had
previously installed FreeBSD on it, but I messed up the X Windows settings and
wanted to start over. The drive also has a 200MB Extended FAT16 partition
holding a swap file.  I tried to install it to a 2GB partition on the my
current hard drive, but I messed up the primary partition settings, but
luckily fixed it with fdisk.

I decided it was time to throw some money at it since the drive was a only a
4X.  (Well, I'll see if it gets returned)  I purchased a Memorex CD-482e 48X
ATAPI IDE CDROM drive - had a little trouble getting it setup for Win95, but
it's working OK.

I shut Win95 down to a DOS prompt and started the install from the FreeBSD 3.0
CDROM and it started the installation process, but when it asks where to
install from it says it can't find the CDROM drive, even though it's running
from it.  I chose the generic kernel with wcd (ATAPI support).

Any suggestions?

I was told that installing from the DOS directory had some problems found the
errata - one solution didn't work and I have to try the other one.

Sorry for the long winded description, but I do appreciate your help!

Thanks!

SteveG@bright.net