Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 2015 11:07:12 +0200
From:      Erik Cederstrand <erik+lists@cederstrand.dk>
To:        Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, reproducible-builds@lists.alioth.debian.org
Subject:   Re: reproducible builds of FreeBSD in a chroot on Linux

> Den 16/06/2015 kl. 23.50 skrev Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>:
>=20
> "Reproducible builds enable anyone to reproduce bit by bit identical =
binary=20
> packages from a given source, so that anyone can verify that a given =
binary=20
> derived from the source it was said to be derived. " - right now you =
have to=20
> *believe* someone that the binary really comes from said source. And =
you need=20
> to *believe* the system building it wasn't compromised...

The build should be immune to the time of the build, of course. That's =
fairly easy (e.g. use 'ar -D' consistently and leave DEBUG_FLAGS empty).

But what about the user who started the build? This leaks to at least =
sendmail config files.

Being agnostic to the path to the src root (e.g. /usr/src or =
/home/erik/freebsd/HEAD/src) requires rewriting the compiler __FILE__ =
macro to insert a relative path, and make debuggers understand relative =
paths. This is hard.

The FreeBSD subversion revision is also leaked several places.

I think reproduce builds are a noble goal and would enable all sorts of =
smart analysis, e.g. which binaries are affected by a certain commit. =
Just remember to define the requirements that need to be satisfied to =
get reproduce builds.

Erik=