Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 16:21:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Donald J. Maddox" <root@rhiannon.scsn.net>
To:        csubl@csv.warwick.ac.uk (Mr M P Searle)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Console messages in an xterm

> How can I get the messages that would normally appear on ttyv0 to appear in an rxvt/xterm? Xconsole isn't really what I want - it's a separate window, and only shows console messages, not ordinary messages that are sent there as they are from stuff that has loaded from .xinitrc (startx is in my login)
>
> I tried watch, but it needs an extra device, which isn't in either /dev/MAKEDEV or /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/devices.something (the file of major device numbers, so I could do a mknod)
>
> What I really want I guess is to boot from an xterm , is this possible?
>
> Thanks, Michael.

>From xterm.1:
-C	       This option  indicates  that  this  window  should
               receive  console output.  This is not supported on
               all systems.  To obtain console output,  you  must
               be  the  owner of the console device, and you must
               have read and write permission for it.  If you are
               running  X under xdm on the console screen you may
               need to have the session startup  and  reset  pro-
               grams  explicitly change the ownership of the con-
               sole device in order to get this option to work.

For more details, `man xterm`.  Hope this helps...

--

                                            Donald J. Maddox
                                            (dmaddox@scsn.net)