Date:      Tue, 17 May 2011 16:35:49 +0200
From:      Niclas Zeising <niclas.zeising@gmail.com>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sections about ports software in handbook

On 2011-05-17 16:25, Glen Barber wrote:
> On 5/17/11 8:18 AM, Niclas Zeising wrote:
>> Hi!
>
> Hi Niclas,
>
>> Is there any interest in having sections in the handbook about
>> configuring various ports software suites? I was thinking about
>> additions for postfix, imap/pop3 servers, maybe nagios, and similar
>> often very much used applications.
>> The idea is to add sections about simple configurations, and then refer
>> to other documentation for complex setups.
>>
>> Is this welcome, or would patches to this effect be mostly a waste of
>> time? What do you think?
>>

> I don't speak for anyone else but myself (and certainly do not oppose
> this idea), however I think doing this might add redundant information
> to the Handbook, meaning, configurations that have already been
> documented by the respective software vendor.

I know the documentation will be redundant, since, as you say, it's
already documented. This is my main argument against doing this as well.
On the other hand, having basic documentation of this kind in the
handbook can possibly help users/admins with the setup, without the need
for more advanced setup, which still will be on the vendor site. For
instance, this is already done for apache.

> Maybe this type of documentation would be better in separate articles
> (or better off, maybe the Wiki) for FreeBSD-specific configurations
> where the vendor's defaults "don't quite work", rather than general
> How-To configurations.
>
> Best regards,

This might be an idea as well, allthough I don't know how much exposure
the wiki gets.

Regards
--
Niclas