Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 02:51:16 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        ETX-B-SL Martti Kuparinen <erakupa@kk.etx.ericsson.se>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: npxintr from nowhere

ETX-B-SL Martti Kuparinen scribbled this message on Dec 12:
> Ok, so either I shouldn't use floats or I must initialize the FPU
> somehow.
>
> But why the crashes occur randomly, i.e. sometimes it takes
> several hours and sometimes only 10 seconds to crash the system?

basicly it happens that the times it crashes there isn't a process
that is using the floating point processor at the time...  when the
process isn't running, the npx is unitalized...

sometime try this, boot machine, run floating point code, machine will
crash (assuming single user boot or VERY little running on machine)..
next run systat, and then run your code... no crash... now quit systat,
and run your code again... crash...  it just happens that it isn't
being initalized at the time...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD