Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2001 22:44:55 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
To:        qa@freebsd.org
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.5-PRERELEASE fails to unmount root while shutdown

Hi!

Sometimes (not always) my system fails to unmount root partition while going
down, it gives up with '... 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1'. The next time it boots
it complains about dirty filesystems and fsck performs its test (it always
succeedes).

There are no semi-dead processes (state E). Machine is pretty idle.
I used this hardware with FreeBSD from the age of 3.2-RELEASE
keeping it STABLE with cvsup. Never had this problem. It has appered somewhere
between 4.4-RELEASE (unaffected) and 4.5-PRERELEASE (still affected).

I'm sorry I do not know how can I debug this. I have DDB in kernel but not
sure it is useful in this situation. It's my home machine so I would be happy
to help debugging this.

Here is some information about my system:

# mount
/dev/ad0s3a on / (ufs, local)
/dev/ad0s3f on /home (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s3e on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1 on /dos/c (msdos, local, noatime)
/dev/ad0s5 on /dos/d (msdos, local, noatime)
/dev/ad0s6 on /dos/e (msdos, local, noatime, noexec)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
kernfs on /kern (kernfs, local)
fdesc on  (fdesc)

#uname -a
FreeBSD D00015.dialonly.kemerovo.su 4.5-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-PRERELEASE #1:
Sat Dec 22 16:07:23 KRAT 2001
root@D00015.dialonly.kemerovo.su:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DADV  i386

Eugene Grosbein