Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2020 18:32:30 +0000
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: importing kyua into the base system

--ADZbWkCsHQ7r3kzd

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 11:14:02AM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > I'll be importing kyua and it's dependency lutok into the base system
> > this week.  Integrating it into the FreeBSD build system will make it
> > available by default which is especially valuable on emerging
> > architectures were we aren't building packages yet (e.g. riscv).
>
> Why isnt there a preceding discussion of this on -arch?

The lack of kyua in base (meaning the inability to run the test suite
without package infrastructure) has been discussed as a pain point for
ages.  The only real objection to it before (IIRC) was that it would
mean importing lua, but we've got lua in base now (as flua) so it's time
to import it.

I suppose I could have added a multi-day delay discussion delay which
would increase my odds of making errors in the port from CheriBSD, but
I'm pretty skeptical we'd come to any conclusion other than the
encouragement I got when I mentioned this on Slack as I started working on
it.

-- Brooks

--ADZbWkCsHQ7r3kzd

--ADZbWkCsHQ7r3kzd--