Date:      Thu, 18 Aug 2011 19:54:17 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        vadim_nuclight@mail.ru
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve

On 8/18/11 2:59 PM, Vadim Goncharov wrote:
> Hi Lev Serebryakov!
>
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 23:50:11 +0400; Lev Serebryakov wrote about 'Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve':
>
>>> 8) There is no -STABLE supported branches in ports.
>>    I want to be more precise here: not -STABLE, but all -RELEASE
>> branches, where "upstream" version of ports/packages never changes,
>> and only security bugfixes are backported.
> To be even more precise, they need a guarantee that automatic updates
> will not break anything so that it could be put to cron like "apt-cron".
> This goal could be satisfied by another means, I hope: FreeBSD developers
> unlikely to have enough time/efforts to keep it for *all* -RELEASE branches,
> but for only chosen ones (e.g. extended security support) - may be.

while all the talk about new ports frameworks etc is nice, it is
still annoying that the ports and FreeBSD crews don't take
the *new* PBI infrastructure that is being pused out with PCBSD-9
as an important move.  The new PBI infrastructure should be taken
into the ports system  as an important factor.  For those who do not
know it, it give a facility somewhat like the what that APPLE
applications work. At the potential (not always) for having redundant
libraries, every PBI package comes with EVERYTHING IT NEEDS.
there are no 'dependnet packages' as such.   On install a
survey is made so that if anything is found to be truly duplicated
(different versions of the same library are NOT considered a duplicate)
then they share, but if not then each package installs and ONLY USES
the stuff that came with it.

The ramifications of this (in this era of large disks) are immense.
If you unstall all your main applications using PBI, then if you screw
up your ports installed libraries and development environment when you
install some new version of the XXX runtime, *your applications keep
working*.

A case of "it just works".  For the life of me I don't understand WHY
there
is this resistance to taking it into the fold. Especially when all the
  work has already been done. It won't replace pkgng and it it won't
replace
ports because it actually uses ports to generate the PBI packages.
But it should be teh default delivery mechanism for binary basic packages.

As I said.. go run an apple for a while and see what it is supposed to
be like.