Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:18:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        SANETO Takanori <sanewo@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mfs behaviour change in last couple months?

:I have 128MB of memory and 700MB of swap area on my PC.
:
:I have 190MB of mfs, fstab entry of which is as follows:
:
:swap            /tmp            mfs     rw,-s=380000    0       0
:
:Recently (since the end of last year, I guess) I noticed that when
:mounting mfs, heavy disk I/O occurs. It seems that mfs's VM space is
:swapped (or paged) out when it is invoked (or when mfs newfs'es its VM
:space).
:
:Could it be because of an mfs implementation change? VM?
:
:Any ideas?
:--
:Takanori "Roy" Saneto <URL:mailto:sanewo@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>

    There haven't been any changes specific to making it swap on
    startup.  I've got a 300MB MFS partition and haven't noticed any
    heavy disk activity on startup.

    You could try reducing the number of pages mount_mfs touches when
    it newfs's the filesystem by specifying a higher bytes/inode ratio
    and playing with other insundry options.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>