Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:39:09 +0200
From:      Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@wolfpond.org>
To:        "Jason M. Leonard" <fuzz@ldc.upenn.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@www.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3ware (twe, twa) support for AMD64 in 5.3?

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 09:51:09AM -0400, Jason M. Leonard wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Tomaz Borstnar wrote:
>
> >At 18:39 5.9.2004, Jason M. Leonard wrote:
> >>1. Are the 3ware drivers ready for production on AMD64?
> >
> >so far twa seem to work OK on 5.3beta. Will test it more extensively in
> >future.
>
> Thanks.  I do have several AMD64 boxes with 3ware 9500 cards.  They're all
> running i386 right now, though, because I bought them based on the fact
> that twa was in the AMD64 GENERIC in -CURRENT at the time.  Silly me
> not to do my research; twa built fine in -CURRENT, newfs seemed OK,
> mounting the volume seemed OK, but anything after that resulted in a
> panic.  So I read the threads cited in my previous email, smacked myself
> on the head and installed FreeBSD/i386 on those machines.

It has also been my experience that 9500s didn't work on 5.2-CURRENT from
july but were ok with 4.10 (obviously i386).

> Now I need to purchase new hardware again, so this time I thought I would
> ask first instead of making another mistake.  Since twa(4) seems to be
> working for you I'll take down one of the boxes currently running
> FreeBSD/i386, install 5.3/AMD64 on it and begin extenstive testing today.

I just put 5.3-BETA3 on the same type of machine (bi-opteron, 6x Gb Ethernet)
and the RAID system now seems to work reliably.

Additionally FreeBSD was the only OS I could install and use in 64-bit
mode, but this is another story...

--
Francois Tigeot