Date:      Sat, 07 Feb 1998 15:41:08 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@asme.org>
To:        jhicks@atlanta.glenayre.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cross development of m68k programs on FreeBSD works!

Jerry Hicks wrote:

> Currently we do this using tar (with -h option) in a pre-configure step, pending public
> release of crosstree-1.4.  This approach takes a *lot* of disk space to say the least...
> Perhaps this could be done with hard links, but I had the disk space to burn and very
> little time.  Maybe next update :)

I'm sorry to blow out the winds off your sails, but there will NOT be
another update to the crosstree. I did that tarball when I didn't know
well how to use the ports makefiles. You surely noticed the new method
is much easier to download and is more didactic in the way it builds the
tree. There must be a way to fix the gas problem, so I'll keep looking..

> It seems to me that this should work for other cross development targets.

That is the idea :-). Embedded targets should work out-of-the-box, but
"real" platforms require a native libgcc1.a. We'll have to limit the
number of supported platforms or otherwise they'll require their own CD
!

		Pedro.