Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2001 11:17:14 -0800
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with two smbus devices

Hi,

we have a couple of 4.4-RELEASE machines that have both Intel 82801AA
(ICH) SMBus controllers and BrookTree 878 TV cards. Both of these attach
to smbus devices, the BrookTree to smbus0 and the Intel to smbus1.

The problem is that all system status utilities I tried (wmhm, wmlmmon,
etc.) access smbus0, which is the TV card, causing a kernel hang.

Is there any way to force the Intel controller to attach to smbus0
instead? (I could patch the source of the utilities, but they need to be
able to run on "standard" machines as well.)

Here's the relevant dmesg output:

bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xf6001000-0xf6001fff irq 13 at device 9.0 on
pci2
iicbb0: <I2C generic bit-banging driver> on bti2c0
iicbus0: <Philips I2C bus> on iicbb0 master-only
smbus0: <System Management Bus> on bti2c0
smb0: <SMBus general purpose I/O> on smbus0
bktr0: Hauppauge Model 61381 D423
bktr0: Detected a MSP3430G-A4 at 0x80
bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips FR1236 NTSC FM tuner, msp3400c
stereo, remote control.
ichsmb0: <Intel 82801AA (ICH) SMBus controller> port 0xdcd0-0xdcdf irq
13 at device 31.3 on pci0
smbus1: <System Management Bus> on ichsmb0
smb1: <SMBus general purpose I/O> on smbus1

Thanks,
Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>               Information Sciences Institute