Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 16:07:38 +0900
From:      Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
To:        chuckr@picnic.mat.net
Cc:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
Subject:   Re: midi questions

From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Subject: midi questions
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:04:13 -0400 (EDT)

chuckr> I have an Intel DK440LX motherboard (because of the dual processors).
chuckr> It has a pretty large array of on-board peripherals, and the sound is
chuckr> one of them, based upon (according to the pdf docs) Crystal CS4236B,
chuckr> which has an OPL-3 compatible FM synthesizer.

Then my driver seems to be able to make the OPL3 audible.

chuckr> pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x534 port2 0x220 irq0 15 drq0 1 drq1 0
chuckr>
chuckr> OK, to add the FM synthesizer, I added a port 1 clause, which changed
chuckr> the line to:
chuckr>
chuckr> pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x534 port 1 0x388 port2 0x220 irq0 15 drq0 1 drq1 0

That should be correct, your pnpinfo(8) says so as well.

chuckr> pnpinfo seemed to find this ok, and set it up.  The midi(4) man page
chuckr> that came with Seigo's driver talks about the midi uart --- does it
chuckr> share that same irq (the one I had set to 15) or does it need it's own?

The 'uart' at this moment means a serial port, *not* the one on a sound card nor
an onboard chip. It is for a midi sound module, SC-88 etc.

The midi uart on a sound card or an onboard chip shares its interrupt with the pcm.

chuckr> I had set up a second kernel.conf line:
chuckr>
chuckr> pnp 1 3 os enable port0 0x330 irq 15
chuckr>
chuckr> which I thought would handle midi.  It kept on giving me the error line
chuckr>
chuckr> /kernel: open: unit 1 not configured, perhaps you want unit 2 ?
chuckr>
chuckr> I tried setting that line 2 of kernel.conf so it would use irq 11 (an
chuckr> irq of it's own).  It still doesn't work.  The probe message doesn't
chuckr> tell a lot:
chuckr>
chuckr> uartsio0: probing at port 0x330.
chuckr> opl0: probing at port 0x330.
chuckr>
chuckr> Is that 0x330 address right, for a uart?  I thought that was the address
chuckr> to right to the midi device ... I didn't realize that's a uart.

On port 0x330 is a midi interface of MPU401 subset, which is still under a work.

What you need seems to use a line like this in your config:

device midi0 at isa? port 0x388

0x388 is the typical port address where an OPL3 lives. Also, an OPL3 do not use
an interrupt.

I am afraid I need some further work to have my driver merged smoothly to the coming
newbused pcm driver. I would also like to see how my driver works under many sound
cards and onboard chips, to understand them well.

Thank you very much!

Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>