Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 95 14:12:10 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: More devfs stuff

> > It's time to change it for ps, who, rwho, rwhod, w, last, finger, and
> > the accounting reporting programs.
>
> Pardon?
>
> peter    ttyv1   Apr 13 08:20
> ...      ^^^^^^^
> ftp       ftp      localhost        Mon Apr 24 03:28 - 03:28  (00:00)
> ...       ^^^^^^^^
>
> > Sorry, but I don't believe this list to be exhaustive.
>
> Neither is it authoritative...

Assuming we were talking about 2 character limits rather than n character
limits in reporting, that would be true.

Any limit could become prohibitive if care weren't taken in deciding
naming.  That was my point with some of the utilities that hav limits
that don't happen to be two characters.  You'll rememebr in the prior
message I referred to 3 digit pty numbers instead of 2 digits.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.