Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 1995 07:13:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

> I think I missed some of the details of the Makefile proposal.  How
> does a package install it's make dependancies?  Does it add lines to
> the makefile, or is the makefile dynamically generated by concatenating
> a bunch of small per-service make fragments?

The latter. I'm very much in favor of *whatever* scheme is used assembling
the startup/shutdown sequence and other control files from fragments. Either
directly by having the startup shell script run the files (the rc.d model)
or by having the package install process rebuild them.

I just want to get away from editing one big file that has a load of
unrelated packages *and* the administrator diddling it.