Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 02:55:37 -0400
From:      Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>
To:        Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
Cc:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mark asks: How should I partition/slice for appliance?

Ken McGlothlen wrote:

> Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net> writes:
>
> | The install blew up just like it did two years ago.  [...]  So the root runs
> | out of space and what the installer does then is ugly.  THIS SHOULD BE
> | FIXED. I can't believe the installer is as stooopid as it was two years ago.
>
> Mark, I love you, man, but this constant insulting of the installer is uncalled
> for.
>
> After all, *you* are the installer.  You're using a program to do it, but
> you're the one doing the installation.

The installer is an inadequate tool. It needs to be improved and the
improvements would not take very much effort if there was a will to do it.

> The installer is fine.

It's not. It's silly. It loads packages one application at a time, putting
up a status box and pausing momentarily for each file instead of just
doing the install. It could run twice as fast as it does. It could also
scoreboard what is to be installed and simply check to see if there is
sufficient disk space. How am I know that? You toss everything back at the
person (newbie) doing the install. Why don't you just admit that the
install application is lame?

> Utilitarian, terse, but fine.  What it's not doing, and
> what you seem to be objected to most vociferously, is that it's not holding
> your hand and catching your mistakes, nor is it reading your mind.

I'm not asking for that. What you are 'saying' is not even ironic.

> You're charging down a road with only partial information, expecting it to work
> flawlessly, and being angry that the program didn't catch your error.

First, I'm not angry. Second, assuming that I knew all that was going to
be installed, where would I find the installed sizes of them so that I
could calculate the required disk space? -- a task that is more
appropriately for a computer than for a human with a calculator. Who is
holding whose hand? It certainly seems to me that the human installer is
holding the robot installer's hand.

> I'm
> sorry, but it's not going to work that way.  Mea maxima culpa, but FreeBSD
> isn't a paragon of user-friendliness.  It's still rather utilitarian in nature.
> It's a great operating system, but not a great friendly experience with lots of
> painstaking help for the novice.
>
> If it were, you'd need a lot more than a 1 GiB drive, that's for sure.

I don't think the installer has any impact on the size of the installed
system.

> Now, granted, I think FreeBSD is eventually headed that direction.  But it's
> not there yet, so let's try to roll with things and stop with the "But it
> didn't do what I MEANT" stuff.  :)

You know that's not what I'm saying. Is this the bsd gospel I'm getting.
It's an os, and an installer for goodness sake. I will stick with what I
wrote: First impressions mean a lot and the first impression bsd gives is
one of incompetance.

Please let this thread die, Ken. You are not going to change your religion
and I'm not going to try to get you to change it. I wrote what I thought
and you responded with your opinion. Can we stop there?

Ciao, and be happy -- Mark
--
See my resume: http://home.earthlink.net/~filipak/resume/
See my music trade pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~filipak/music/